Monday, August 29, 2011

Our First Class

Our first class went well, I thought. We were supposed to meet for two hours. We actually stayed longer than that, but I really thought that it went by really fast. It was very interesting and everyone seemed so excited to get started. It was kind of hard to believe that the 2+ hours passed so quickly. I half expected our class to be boring, but I wasn't disappointed to be wrong! We ended up having homework and apparently that will be a weekly thing. I didn't expect that, but that is ok too. We have 3 more Thursday classes and then an all day Saturday class. After the Saturday class we have 4 home studies to do. One with just me and one with just Jonathan and two more with both of us. They have 90 days to approve or deny us. We are hoping to be approved by the end of the year and pray that we can begin taking care of kids very soon thereafter! Just because I know that some of you are curious, I will go ahead and say that we have to be foster parents for 6 months before we can adopt. They are really stressing that babies are not the norm for adoptions in the system. They also gave us a statistic that over 50% of the children in the TN foster system are reunited with their families. A couple of years ago that would have really, really scared me. It still does, to be honest, but I can also look to my parents example and others that I have known who are in the system and see their experiences and know that sometimes birth parents can change for the better and it is my job to love them and their children through that. I know that it will be MUCH harder to do than I'm thinking right now. I'm just praying that we can be the example to the children and parents that we need to be and when the parents can't or won't change then I hope that we can be the parents those children need. I also pray that when the parents DO change and are able to be parents again, that we are able to let go. We know that it will be hard either way.

3 comments:

  1. that's all so very exciting!! it's finally here! it will definitely be worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tennessee process seems so different than the Kentucky process. I am sure it will go great! So excited for you! Will be excited to follow your process. I have come to the very real conclusion that God will use me if I am willing for whatever He sits for the children who have been in our care, whether that means we keep them or reunify them to their parents. Not an easy thing to comprehend, but I believe with all my faith He will reward the discipleship! I pray you never know heartbreak through the process and that the child God has planned for you comes to you quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do keep expecting things to be more similar to what I know of the KY process. Mama and I talked a lot about what to expect before she died. Daddy is giving his insight as well. It seems like every single "for instance" in class was something that they experienced at one time or other during their time as foster parents.

    ReplyDelete