Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Getting THE Call

On April 19th 2012 I was very tired after a long day of babysitting. I think maybe there had been no school that day, so I had 4 siblings all day, plus another little boy that I kept. It was a busy day. I was tired and falling asleep when I got THE call. I contemplated letting it go to voice mail, but when you are waiting to be a Mama, you almost always check before just letting the phone ring! Well this call was from our adoption friend. She said, "I've got a situation. I have three siblings looking for a forever home. Two boys and a girl. Ages 5,4 and 2. We need to know by tomorrow at noon." I said, "Ok, yes! Well... let me talk to Jonathan!" Dana told me that she didn't have a lot of information on these children yet and I might need a little more time to think about it. I told her that I'd call her back soon with an answer. I talked to Jonathan for a few minutes and we decided that we would pursue this as far as it took us. Called Dana back and said YES! We are ready to see where this leads. We were scared. We were only thinking that we would be comfortable with accepting children up to age 4. We had just agreed to a 2,  4 and a 5 year old. These "babies" had special needs that must be met. They had experienced trauma in their little lives that must be dealt with. When we said yes, these were the only things that we knew. After saying that we were willing to pursue this we started getting emails that night. Emails of paperwork that we needed to sign, emails full of information, doctor's records and names of these precious babies. We found out that both boys had birthdays very soon, so as scared as I was to have a 5 year old, it was made a little scarier knowing that I'd also have a 6 year old. It's a bit scary for first time parents to start with 5 and 6 year olds! The things that they had experienced in their young lives made me so sad. Very quickly I felt like a Mama Bear and just wanted to protect MY babies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment